Wednesday, January 28, 2009

New Pastime OR It's All Because I Laughed

Over a year ago I was on the phone with my sister when she suddenly said, "Please don't drink water out of the dishwasher!" In about the same amount of time it took me to realize that she was not talking to me, but instead to my one year old niece, I was also overcome with a horrid case of the giggles. She was not as amused as I was. Mainly because this was not the first time she had dealt with this problem. But since that time we have joked many times about writing a book containing the many things we never thought we'd say as parents.

Fast forward to this year. My niece and Audi have a very unique relationship (even from thousands of miles away). But even I didn't realize the extent of their bond, until I found myself saying to Audi "Please don't play in the water in the dishwasher." The first time, I laughed. But by then she was hooked. Now, every time I open the dishwasher to load or unload, she squeals, and crawls as fast as she can to the dishwasher to help (which consists of pulling out the utensils and chewing on them)!

When Ahenobarbus is home, his job is to keep Audi back from the dishwasher (it grosses me out and it could get dangerous - she seems drawn to the sharp knives). One night, Ahenobarbus was distracted and couldn't seem to keep Audi back. She was as determined as ever to get to me and the dishwasher. Ahenobarbus, being Ahenobarbus, pulled out his webbing and rope and rigged up a harness for her. Then he tied the rope to a kitchen chair so that Audi could still crawl and be in the same room as me, but not get to the dishwasher. Here's the result:



The harness accomplished it's intended purpose pretty well, but as for Audi's feelings on the matter, I think this picture says it all!

She was okay with the whole thing until she realized that she couldn't get across the kitchen - no matter how she tried or from which angle she crawled. After about three minutes, she was so frustrated with the restraint that I couldn't leave her in the harness any longer. So Ahenobarbus snapped a few pictures, and we set her free.

10 comments:

lulu said...

That makes me laugh. I didn't realize the extent of helping with the dishes soon enough. Unfortunately, I still have a little helper, and unfortunatley, he still is attracted to those damn knifes. But, he is getting better at putting things away for me. Can we say, "in training"?

WildBound said...

I love it. Not the teary eyes, but the creative ingenuity that we love so much.

Chris and Lish said...

and so begins her road of therapy...

Anonymous said...

Wow! Even I didn't realize how connected they were. Love the story, and the harness. Do you think I could get three? With straight jackets? :)

Carolyn said...

That is hillarious. I wish I could harness Ryan, as he also loves the dishwasher. He broke a plate today as he helped me unload. I have called poison control when Avery was about Audi's age and I caught her eating the detergent out of the dishwasher when the lid thingy didn't open.

Amanda Miller said...

I need Danny to make me a little harness for Paul. It's not good enough to just play with the things on the door. He actually wants to climb into the dishwasher. He is not a small boy anymore and I'm a little concerned for the dishwasher's welfare. On a side note, my cell phone was stolen over Christmas and it is the only place I have your phone number. Will you email it to me? (amiller1162@gmail.com)

Rachel said...

oh too funny... the joys i have to look forward too, but she is darling!

Desertbound said...

Hehe! Glad AT had some webbing handy to practice some safe rigging. Never know when you'll need it. Hope you got your dishes done in that three minutes:) Too cute!

The Kooky Queen--Rachel said...

HHHHHHHHAHHAAAAAAHAA, so like a daddy!! That kills me!!! So funny!!

Anonymous said...

Love the new look! And thanks for the new post! =)