Saturday, July 19, 2008

Packing

I have a confession - I don't mind moving, I actually kind of like it. I wouldn't want to do it every month, but thanks to all my housing moves (11), it doesn't stress me out as much as other people. The idea of being able to sort, clean and organize everything we own makes me SO very happy! (Yes, I know that many of you would consider this a disease, but I also know one or two of you who whole-heartedly agree). This particular move is an especially happy one for me. During our last move I was SO sick and we were moving across the country. So, the idea of moving a few miles while not pregnant seems like a dream.

All of that said, it is still packing and moving. Yesterday after I packed my 19th (no that isn't a typo) box of books, I realized just how little packing and moving I did last time and how much help I had from family and friends. So now, a year later looking back at the whole thing with fresh eyes, I want to thank each of you again: those of you who helped to pack and sort all of our stuff; those of you who babysat for hours; those of you who brought food/fed us when I couldn't think of eating, let alone cooking; those of you who let us rest at your house; those of you who helped load the moving van and clean our house; those of you who drove across the country with us and unloaded our moving van; those of you who searched for hours for the "perfect" car toys for Beemer during the long drive; and those of you rescued us from box hell when I couldn't stand up to unpack! I don't know how we would have gotten here without each of you - thank you!

And to my amazing husband, who REALLY hates to move - you are my hero! Thank you for taking the lead and getting us to St. Louis. And thank you for moving again, not so that your commute will be shorter, but so that your girls will be happier. We love you!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so glad I am not the only one with the moving is kinda fun bug! And that I surprisingly had less boxes of books that you (13)! Sometimes I wonder if housing actually changed our DNA. . .

Ahenobarbus Textor said...

yes, I really do hate moving. I feel like Sisyphus being tormented in Tartarus. Again, and again.

@ Tiff: that's not counting the 7 boxes I left with my folks, and the sundry others I left in the safekeeping of various friends and family.

Mindy said...

I wish I had your love of "the move". I don't love it. I admit that I enjoy the purging aspect of getting rid of unnecessary household items; it feels good to get rid of stuff. But I really don't like the unorganized feeling I get from moving...you know, the one where I just saw something, I put it somewhere safe, and now that I need it, I have no idea where it is! That happens all too often in any move for me to enjoy the experience. Oh, and the packing, moving, and unpacking is just so much work!!!

The Kooky Queen--Rachel said...

This must be a blast for the obsessive organizer in you! A reason to organize...all day long! Actually, I really love the packing process too. It's so fun to de-junk!

Timmses said...

I admit, I'm one of those that loves to move. I love the idea of new space and new ways to arrange things and put things. I love the purging aspect as well and the cleaning stuff. That said, will you pack up my move too?!?

Carolyn said...

I also like to organize and I love to throw stuff away. So that part of moving I like. Have fun!

CowboyBob said...

Moving . . . changing . . . progressing. Hmmmm, the Law of Eternal Progression in action?

The Cooks said...

Good luck moving. I am glad this is a good experience for you. Post again after you have actually done it. HA HA I was SO excited to read you will be here and am very anxious to see you girls. And coming to training how appropriate. See you soon yahoo!

Wildman said...

You have now caught up with the number of moves we have made. Congrats.

I hope the new place is even better than the last.

Most of your stuff is safe, I did just start reading Walden. What a whiner he is mingled with powerful insights.