Monday, December 7, 2009

We did it!

Ahenobarbus and I ran our first race Thanksgiving morning with some good friends, and despite a few unplanned changes in the race, it went well - for a first race. Originally, AT planned to run a 10K and I planned to run a 5K. But - due to flooding on the route, the 10K was cancelled and the 5K re-routed. So, we ran the 5K on a 5 foot path of dirt, gravel, mud and water and it was a there-and-back-again path so we also had two-way traffic. There were over 800 finishers in the race (many more than the organizers planned). All of these things were out of the organizers hands and it was a fun race, just a different challenge than we anticipated. =)

The result was a slower time for AT, as he had trouble passing anyone. He ran the 5K in about 24 minutes, but still had good energy left after the race. I think he could have knocked off three minutes or so. I am a much slower runner, so the pack wasn't as thick for me. Even with a small twist of an ankle, I actually met my goal for the race (under 35 minutes). The best part for me was, believe it or not, finishing last of the group we were with, because they all came back to finish the race with me. AT sprinted with me the last .02 miles and his encouragement helped me finish strong. It was a great "starting race" and so much fun to do together.

8 comments:

Amanda Miller said...

Look at you two skinny kids! Way to go, that's awesome!

WildBound said...

Truly inspiring! You guys are so freakin' awesome!

Kristin said...

Congratulations! It's amazing how great it feels to run a race--so much more exhilarating than all that training. Way to go.

Spring said...

Great job! You look great! You beat my time of 36 minutes.

Mike said...

I am impressed with your fitness. It inspires me to want to do the same someday (which unfortunately means not today). Great picture!

Ahenobarbus Textor said...

Love you, babe. Let's run again, soon. 10K, this time?

Carolyn said...

What a woman!! (and man, for your hubby).

The Kooky Queen--Rachel said...

WOW!!!!!!!!!! Congrats!!! You both look amazing!!!